Sunday, December 20, 2009

My hubby hates sweet cornbread so can I omit sugar from a cornbread recipe I have? Will it still come out good

I'm actually planning on using the cornbread batter to make corn dogs and my husband hates anything sweet-tasting (if it's not a dessert that is). So I wanna do what I mentioned above, omit the sugar from the recipe. Do you think the cornbread will turn out ok with out the sugar in it. Here's the full recipe:


Cornbread:


Heat oven to 400 degrees. Grease an 8 or 9 inch pan. Combine 1 1/4 cups of flour, 3/4 cups of Quaker Corn Meal, 1/4 cup of sugar (this I want to omit), 2 tsps of baking powder and 1/2 tsp of salt. Stir in 1 cup skim milk, 1/4 cup oil, and 1 beaten egg. Mix just until dry ingredients are moistened. Pout batter into prepared pan and bake 20 to 25 minutes or till light golden brown.


That's it. So do you think the batter and final baked product will still come out good if I omit all of the sugar from this recipe to use it for making corndogs?My hubby hates sweet cornbread so can I omit sugar from a cornbread recipe I have? Will it still come out good
I wouldn't omit it altogether, cut it in half or if needed, cut down to a tbsp. It won't taste good if you cut it out entirely. I tried it before for a cornbread dressing recipe because I didn't want it too sweet and it tasted awful, that was years ago and I never did it again.My hubby hates sweet cornbread so can I omit sugar from a cornbread recipe I have? Will it still come out good
Does he like jalapeċ¸½os? My g.ma makes cornbread with sliced jalapeċ¸½os and sharp cheddar shredded mixed in the batter. It's still slightly sweet. Add in as much as both your can take. Eat with mex, tex, or even with chili. Report Abuse

It will not hurt to omit the sugar from your recipe.


I am with your husband... If it has sugar then it is no longer cornbread. It becomes corncake. True cornbread does not have sugar.





Your recipe should be fine. You might want to adjust the consistency for corndog batter though.
Everytime I make cornbread, I use an already mixed one from the bag at the store. However, this is my secret, I use a small can of creamed style corn in the batter. The corn bread comes out real moist. You can try that in your mix and see if that helps.I am not sure how it will work for hot dogs.
i love to cook. well it may not be a good idea to just take the sugar out. if does make it sweet, but it does other stuff too. it is like a gluing and holding agent. look on the internet for recipes of cornbread without sugar. there is a lot out there. good luck =)
Sugar doesn't belong in cornbread. Omit the crap.
no. you can decrese the amount. but you can't omit it all together.
Go to foodtv.com and pull up Emeril's rcipe for corndog batter. Delicious and easy.
my wife wont have sugar in her corn bread, she also wants dixie stone ground cornmeal. it is good and you will love it just follow the receipes on the package.
oh, man! i love corndogs! and i lke em sweet! howcome he doesn't want them the original tastin' way? aaawwww...


ok, so u remove the sugar from the recipe, the batter will tste like blah then, unless u substitute something with more taste but not sweet, like say, cheese, sourcream%26amp;chives or garlic-butter cream. its a gamble but it's gonna make your day a helluva lot more fun eating different flavors for a corndog!

No comments:

Post a Comment