Sunday, December 20, 2009

Can I substitute shortening for margarine in a cornbread recipe?

I'm using cornmeal for the cornbread.Can I substitute shortening for margarine in a cornbread recipe?
Yes, you can. However, the margarine will impart a little more flavor into the cornbread. Serve it with butter and it will be fine.Can I substitute shortening for margarine in a cornbread recipe?
Yes, melt the shortening in the skillet you are baking the cornbread in (if it's stove-safe) or otherwise melt it in microwave-safe container in the microwave.


Follow the recipe for the cornbread. (It probably also calls for egg, milk, %26amp; baking soda and/or baking powder in addition to the cornbread and shortening. I always also add just a bit of sugar to make the cornbread slightly sweet.


Be sure to grease the pan you are using if different from the skillet you heated the grease in.

No comments:

Post a Comment